By Kiply Lukan Yaworski, Catholic Saskatoon News
Photos by Keith Kohlman
Bishop Mark Hagemoen joined the faith community of St. Mary Parish in Macklin, SK, Oct. 21, 2023 to celebrate the Eucharist and offer special prayers to officially install Fr. Santhosh Thekkekulam, VC, as pastor of the parishes at Macklin, St. Donatus, and Macklin, SK.
Fr. Thekkekulam was appointed pastor of the Macklin-area parishes earlier this year. Previously, he served as pastor at Wilkie, Handel, and Leipzig.
The installation prayers offer an opportunity to reflect prayerfully on the role of the pastor, highlighting the priest’s sacramental ministry through a series of prayers at different spots throughout the church building: the altar, the ambo, the tabernacle, the baptismal font, the entrance of the church, and so on.
Bishop Hagemoen will travel to install other new pastors in parishes across the diocese in the weeks ahead, as his schedule permits (see schedule, below).
“This isn’t a required ritual, but it is something that is an option, and we have chosen to do that because of its simple but rich symbolism about the relationship of the pastor — the priest — with the people of God,” explains Bishop Hagemoen.
Other pastor installations with Bishop Hagemoen presiding:
- Fr. Greg Smith-Windsor – St. Aloysius Parish, Allan – Oct. 8, 2023 – LINK
- Fr. Rinesh Menambadath Chacko, VC – St. James Parish, Wilkie – Oct. 21, 2023 – LINK
- Fr. John Ezeoruonye – St. Front Parish, St. Front – Nov. 5, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
- Fr. Daniel Louh – St-Phillipe-Neri Parish, Vonda – Nov. 18, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
- Fr. Paul Oshin – St. Peter Cathedral, Muenster – Nov. 19, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
- Fr. Daniel Yasinski – Our Lady of Lourdes, Saskatoon – Nov. 26, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.