By Kiply Lukan Yaworski, Catholic Saskatoon News
An annual pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes at St. Anthony Church in Rama, SK, was again held Aug. 14-15, marking the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary into heaven.
Some 53 pilgrims from Saskatoon, Humboldt, Naicam, and Lintlaw travelled by bus on a one-day trip to the first day of the Rama Pilgrimage Aug. 14, organized by Adult Faith Coordinator Astrid Alas of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon.
After stops to pick up passengers in Saskatoon and Humboldt, the diocesan bus arrived at the shrine site at about the same time as participants in the annual St. Philomena Walking Pilgrimage, which started at Yorkton Aug. 11 and concluded at Rama in time for celebrations on the Vigil of the Assumption Aug. 14.
Other pilgrims from across the province, and priests from throughout the area also joined local pastor Fr. Andrew Sowa, OMI, for the 81st pilgrimage.
Priests in attendance from the diocese of Saskatoon included Fr. Augustine Osei-Bonsu; Fr. Jerome Ogunleye; Fr. Joe-Nelo Penino; and Fr. Frank Offin-Sekyere.

Priests from the dioceses of Regina and Saskatoon, as well as from the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy, again participated in the Rama Pilgrimage Aug. 14-15. (Photo by Astrid Alas, Adult Faith Coordinator, Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon)
Praying of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy opened the pilgrimage, which saw intermittent rain throughout the first day. The schedule included opportunities for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, praying the outdoor Stations of the Cross, participating in Marian devotions, hymns and a living rosary.
The Aug. 14 evening celebration of the Eucharist was followed by a candlelight procession, exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and adoration.
The pilgrimage continued the next day on the Solemnity of the Assumption, with morning prayers in Polish, followed by Mass in Polish, Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, and Mass in English, as well as anointing of the sick, and special blessings.
Shrine history notes (Rama Shrine website – www.ramashrine.ca):
St. Anthony’s Church in the Archdiocese of Regina is the site of a shrine dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Fr. Anthony Sylla OMI, a Polish born Oblate, initiated the building of the grotto on the eve of World War II in 1939. The Rama shrine is a replica of the world-famous Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France.
- 1940: The main portion of the grotto was built.
- 1941: The stones around the Grotto and the two large wings in the form of a semicircle, were completed. Msgr. J.A Janssen, the Vicar General of the Regina Archdiocese, blessed the Shrine on June 15th, 1941.
- 1944: A cross was erected at the top of the hill above the niche containing the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Two statues at the foot of the cross – one of the Sorrowful Mother and the other of St. John. In the same stone are altars with three statues-below the Cross is the pieta (Jesus lying in the arms of His Mother) the other two in the side niche of Our Lord in the Sepulcher, and the third of Jesus’ Resurrection. At the ground level is a statue of St. Bernadette with her eyes focused on The Blessed Virgin Mary
- 1945: The first Pilgrimage took place Aug. 14-15, 1945
- 1955: A statue of Our Lady of Grace was donated to Father Sylla by the Knights of Columbus who constructed and financed a fountain where the statue was placed
- 1958-59: Stations of the Cross were erected around the outside of the hill after Fr. Sylla’s Golden Jubilee Ordination Celebration
- 2010-11: The Grotto underwent complete restoration including the restorations of the statues through donations of Cas and Marie Broda and their son, Gord (Barb) Broda
- 2012: The statue of St. Gianna Beretta Molla, pro-life saint, with three children was created in Italy in the homeland of St. Gianna by the five-generation family of craftsmen and artisans, Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875
- 2013: A life-sized bronze statue of Fr. Anthony Sylla OMI was placed at the entrance of the shrine looking at the Blessed Virgin Mary. This statue was also created by the Ferdinand Stuflesser 1875 Company from Italy.
- 2014: Images of the “Life of Mary” were completed in 2014 and are displayed on the west wall of the parish hall.
- 2015: Images of the Ten Commandments and parting of the Red Sea completed the west wall of the hall.
- 2015: Pilgrims may now receive a plenary indulgence during the annual pilgrimage.
- 2017: Two more statues were added: St. Mother Teresa and Pope St. John Paul II.
Photos

Fr. Andrew Sowa OMI, is pastor of St. Anthony Church, Rama, and one of the organizers of the annual pilgrimage. (Photo by Astrid Alas, Adult Faith Coordinator, Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon)

St. Anthony Parish, Rama, SK. (Photo by Astrid Alas, Adult Faith Coordinator, Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon)
-30-
Kiply Lukan Yaworski is the communications coordinator for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon: rcdos.ca.
Adult Faith, Communications and Catholic Saskatoon News are supported by gifts to the Bishop’s Annual Appeal: dscf.ca/baa.





























