By Kiply Lukan Yaworski, Catholic Saskatoon News
Bishop Mark Hagemoen celebrated the Eucharist with the faith community of hSt. Philippe Neri Parish in Vonda, SK, Nov. 18, 2023, offering special prayers to officially install Fr. Daniel Louh, SMA, as pastor of the parishes at Vonda, Prud’homme, and St. Denis.
Louh was appointed pastor of the Trinite parishes earlier this year. He is also serving as pastor of Sts-Martyrs-Canadiens Francophone Parish in Saskatoon. Originally from the diocese of Man, Côte d’Ivoire, Louh assisted at St. Paul Co-Cathedral when he first arrived in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon in 2021. A member of the Society of African Missions, Louh also served for a time as associate pastor at St. Mary Parish in Saskatoon.
The installation prayers by Bishop Hagemoen offered an opportunity to reflect prayerfully on the role of the pastor, highlighting the priest’s sacramental ministry through a series of prayers at different spots throughout the church building: the altar, the ambo, the tabernacle, the baptismal font, the entrance of the church, the confessional, and so on.
Bishop Hagemoen will continue travelling to parishes in the diocese to install other recently-appointed pastors in the weeks ahead.
“This isn’t a required ritual, but it is something that is an option, and we have chosen to do that because of its simple but rich symbolism about the relationship of the pastor — the priest — with the people of God,” explains Bishop Hagemoen.
Other pastor installations by Bishop Hagemoen:
- Fr. Greg Smith-Windsor – St. Aloysius Parish, Allan – Oct. 8, 2023 – LINK
- Fr. Santhosh Thekkekulam, VC– St. Mary Parish, Macklin – Oct. 21, 2023 – LINK
- Fr. Rinesh Menambadath Chacko, VC – St. James Parish, Wilkie – Oct. 21, 2023 – LINK
- Fr. John Ezeoruonye – St. PFront Parish, St. Front – Nov. 5 2023 – LINK
- Fr. Paul Oshin – St. Peter Cathedral, Muenster – Nov. 19, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
- Fr. Daniel Yasinski – Our Lady of Lourdes, Saskatoon – Nov. 26, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.
(Kiply Lukan Yaworski is the coordinator of communications for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon: rcdos.ca)