By Kiply Lukan Yaworski, Catholic Saskatoon News
Married couples gathered Sept. 13 and 14 for a time of enrichment and inspiration at a conference presented by Cat.Chat Productions of Bruno, SK and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon.
Some 170 attended the event at the Saskatoon Inn, held on a Friday evening and all day Saturday, featuring talks, celebration of Mass with Bishop Mark Hagemoen, a panel discussion and opportunities for one-to-one reflection by couples, as well as confessions and prayer ministry.
Speakers at the Catholic marriage enrichment conference were Denise and Gerald Montpetit of Cat.Chat (a production company based in Bruno that produces a variety of faith-based materials for children and families); Andrea and Brett Powell of the Archdiocese of Vancouver; and author and retreat facilitator Leah Perrault of Saskatoon.
Titles of sessions over the two days spelled out the word “BREATHE” — which was the theme of the conference:
- Building unity – Gerald and Denise Montpetit
- Rediscover joy – Gerald and Denise Montpetit, Brett and Andrea Powell
- Experience peace – Gerald and Denise Montpetit
- Ask for advice – Panel discussion with all the speakers
- Transform your love: navigating sex in marriage – Leah Perrault
- Hope for husbands, Hope for wives – breakout sessions for men and women
- Encounter Christ – Brett and Andrea Powell
“We have received a lot of great feedback from the couples who attended,” said Reanne Powell, one of the conference organizers.
Some of the highlights mentioned by participants included:
- The practical, hands-on advice provided by the speakers
- The variety of topics and presenters
- The opportunity to be one-on-one as a couple
- Bishop Mark’s presence during the whole conference and his homily during Mass: “a real witness to him being a true shepherd for his flock.”
- A wonderful venue for couples to step away from the busyness of life and really enter into the conference.
Photos by Kiply Lukan Yaworski:
Photos submitted by Bishop Mark Hagemoen: