Catholic Saskatoon News
Photos by Teresa Bodnar-Hiebert
On a Sunday afternoon in August 2019, Bishop Mark Hagemoen presided at the celebration of Eucharist with Msgr. Stan Urbanoski, Fr. Denis Phaneuf, and Fr. Colin Roy, to mark the 100th anniversary of the construction of Our Lady Queen of Peace Church.
It was the first parish that Msgr. Urbanoski served in after his ordination in 1954.
The first church was built of logs and mud in 1904 to serve Polish settlers in the area. As the pioneers settled on their homesteads, this little church was no longer big enough. In 1918 construction of the present church building was started, and was finished in 1919.
Now closed, Our Lady Queen of Peace is located 7.5 miles (12 km) east of Smuts, SK, or nine miles (14.5 km) north of Prud’homme.
The 100th anniversary celebration on Sunday, Aug. 11, 2019 was a homecoming for many, and included Mass, the blessing of graves in the cemetery, a group photo, and a potluck meal.