By Kiply Lukan Yaworski
Priests and parishioners from across the diocese joined Bishop Mark Hagemoen for the Mass of Chrism April 15 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family in Saskatoon to open Holy Week.
Homily by Bishop Mark Hagemoen: “Tonight we are renewed in our priestly zeal in terms of word, sacrifice and witness – as we share by office in Christ’s priesthood as Priest, Prophet, King.”
Priests renewed their commitment to priestly ministry, and those assembled joined in prayer for priests and the bishop.
Oils were brought forward for blessing, with parish representatives led forward by Fr. Richmond Diala (Oil of the Sick), Fr. Stefano Penna (Oil of Catechumens), and Fr. Matthew Ramsay (Sacred Chrism). The bishop blessed the oils — adding balsam perfume to the Sacred Chrism and inviting all the priests present to pray with him over the Chrism.
At the conclusion of the Eucharistic celebration, parish representatives lined up to receive the sacred oils to take back to their faith communities for sacramental anointing in the year ahead — including anointing during Easter baptisms.
During a banquet before the Mass of Chrism, Bishop Hagemoen acknowledged priests marking milestone anniversaries in 2019:
- 65th anniversary of Ordination: Msgr. Stan Urbanoski and Fr. Lester Kaufmann, OMI
- 55th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. Richard Doll, OMI
- 45th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. Michel Bedard
- 30th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. Maurice Levesque and Fr. Joseph Thazhathemuriyil, VC
- 25th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. Peter Ebidero and Fr. Joseph Salihu
- 15th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. Marvin Lishchynsky, Fr. Francis Akomeah, Fr. Clement Arthur, Fr. Habila Musa, and Fr. Binu Rathappillil, VC
- 10th anniversary of Ordination: Fr. John Abban-Bonsu